A Unique Tax Reference Number

By Gary Robinson / May 25, 2024

A Unique Tax Reference Number The Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) is a UK tax identification number, issued by the HMRC to identify a person or business entity, this identification number is needed when you need to complete a tax self-assessment. This will be your number, and this will be referenced on any letters they send…

Read More

De-registering for VAT

By Gary Robinson / April 27, 2024

De-registering for VAT When you want to de-register from VAT there is a certain criterion that you must meet: You will need to go to your VAT account on the government gateway and make the application, if you do this online then you will automatically see that this has been submitted successfully. Any messages relating…

Read More

Spring Tax Update

By Gary Robinson / April 13, 2024

Student loan repayments for self-employed taxpayers are based on the profits reported in each tax year. For the tax years 2023-24 to 2027-28 this will be your normal profit plus the portion of the transitional profits you decide to bring into that year. The additional profit could cause a dramatic increase in your student loan…

Read More

Sole Trader or Limited Company

By Gary Robinson / March 30, 2024

A question I often get asked is which way should I go Sole Trader/Partnership V Limited company and there is no right and wrong answer. Both sole trader and partnerships are unincorporated, so the business information is not held in the public domain. Limited companies have the business information on Companies House, and anyone can…

Read More

Spring Budget 2024 Update

By Gary Robinson / March 16, 2024

National insurance rates cut again The headline news from the Spring Budget was further cuts to national insurance contributions (NIC) of 2% each for self-employed taxpayers and employees. The main rate of primary Class 1 NIC paid by employees on earnings between £12,570 and £50,270 per year will be cut from 10% to 8% from…

Read More

Rollover Relief

By Gary Robinson / March 9, 2024

Rollover Relief When capital gains tax was introduced in 1965, it was recognised that where a person sells an asset used in a business and buys a new asset, tax would be due on any gain arising on the sale, but there may not be any sales proceeds left over to pay that tax. To…

Read More

Rent a Room Relief

By Gary Robinson / March 2, 2024

As hundreds of homeowners rent out their rooms and houses during the sporting events such as Wimbledon tennis championships, for up to £15,000 a week, it is important to pay the right tax to avoid penalties. This year’s tournament is seeing a very buoyant market with houses renting at up to £15,000 a week, four-to-five-bedroom…

Read More

Registering for Self-Employment

By Gary Robinson / February 24, 2024

Once you have made the step of deciding to go self-employed once of the first things you need to do is to register with HM Revenue & Customs. Registering for tax is an essential step in becoming a sole trader. It ensures that you are compliant with the law and can accurately report your income…

Read More

Self-Assessment Payment on Account

By Gary Robinson / February 3, 2024

Payments on Account What are payment on account in tax and on your self-assessment tax return. Payments on account’ are advance payments towards your tax bill (including Class 4 National Insurance if you’re self-employed). You have to make 2 payments on account every year unless: Each payment is half your previous year’s tax bill. Payments…

Read More


By Gary Robinson / January 27, 2024

Partnerships A partnership is defined a one or more people joining together in business with a view to make a profit and each partner receiving a share of the profit according to their share ratio for example 3 partners each holding 33 shares each. Partnership Tax Partnerships do not pay tax, but all partners pay…

Read More